Honey and Balsamic Glazed Salmon Spiral with Sesame-Orange Spinach honey
Honey and Balsamic Glazed Salmon Spiral with Sesame-Orange Spinach ©copyright – all rights reserved Marci Arthur
- 1 center cut salmon filet, skin, belly, and pin bones removed (about 1 ½-2lbs)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon gray salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2- 10oz. bags spinach, stemmed and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sliced garlic
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon mixed white and black sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare the spinach. Heat the 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large 14-inch sauté pan over high heat. When hot and just beginning to smoke add the sliced garlic and cook until golden brown, then add the orange zest and spinach. Cook the spinach, tossing frequently until fully wilted and tender.
- Remove from the heat, drizzle in the sesame oil and check for seasoning. Divide the spinach, and quickly wipe out the pan with a paper towel, spread about 1/3 of the total spinach on a plate and pop in the refrigerator or freezer to cool quickly. Cover the remaining 2/3 spinach with foil and reserve warm. In a small bowl mix together the honey and balsamic vinegar.
- Using a sharp knife cut the salmon into 4 lengthwise strips (from collar to tail).
Lay the strips of salmon out flat and season on all sides with salt, pepper, and the mustard powder. By this time the 1/3 of the spinach will be cold.
- Line the top of each salmon strip with equal amounts of cooked spinach, start from one end and roll the salmon/spinach up into a spiral, secure each with two wooden skewers. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in the 14-inch pan that was wiped out after the spinach.
- When hot, but not quite smoking, add the salmon spirals and brown for about 2 minutes. Turn the salmon over and allow to brown for about 1 minute on the other side. Brush about 1-2 tablespoons of the honey/balsamic mixture over the salmon and place in the oven for about 6-7 minutes.