CHOCOLATE ESPRESSO LAVA CAKES WITH ESPRESSO WHIPPED CREAM
CHOCOLATE ESPRESSO LAVA CAKES WITH ESPRESSO WHIPPED CREAM ©copyright – all rights reserved Marci Arthur
These individual soft-centered cakes are baked and served in ovenproof mugs. Or you can use 8-ounce ramekins.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 teaspoons instant espresso powder or instant coffee powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 12 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips (about 4-1/2 ounces)
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, 5 teaspoons espresso powder, and baking powder into medium bowl.
- Place butter in mixing bowl and add both sugars and beat until well blended.
- Add eggs one at a time and mix until well blended. Then add vanilla and almond extracts. Whisk in dry ingredients.
- Divide batter among 6 mugs or ramekins.
- Top with 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips.
- Gently press chips into batter.
- Cover and refrigerate at least for 1 hour or up to one day.
- Combine cream, confections sugar and remaining 1-teaspoon espresso powder in medium bowl; whisk until peaks form. Chill up to 1 hour.
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350.
- Let dishes stand at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- Bake uncovered until cakes are puffed and crusty and tester inserted into center comes out with thick batter attachment, about 30 minutes.
- Cool cakes for 5 minutes. Top with whipped cream and serve immediately.